- Aid should be first and foremost guided by the needs of communities, allowing communities to determine their own development needs;
- Aid should promote local ownership and sustainability;
- Aid should be based on principles of social and environmental justice and support self-determination;
- Aid should be a mechanism of global social responsibility; not a tool for Australia’s national interest;
- The final outcome of aid should be to remove the need for aid.
These priorities require significant work at the grassroots level and towards a restructuring of global development finance.
Last Updated November 15 2010 Next page